James started shooting at a local 4-H Club with his three younger brothers. His mom coached the club for many years and was also his first coach.
He was a member of the Jacksonville State University Rifle Team from 2003-2006 and in 2005, James led the JSU Rifle Team to an NCAA Smallbore National Championship. James received elite honors as an NRA All- American all four years and was named the Conference Smallbore and Air Rifle Most Valuable Player in 2005 and 2006.
After a successful NCAA rifle career, James spent several years involved in coaching. He worked as a Graduate Assistant at Jacksonville State University and as a Jacksonville State University Volunteer Coach before picking up pistol shooting as an athlete. He made his first attempt at the Olympic Team in 2012 and again in 2016, barely missing his spot on the 2016 Rio Olympic Team.
It was James who secured the first U.S quota spot in air pistol by winning gold at the 2018 Championship of the Americas in Guadalajara, Mexico. He had only been competing on the world class international pistol scene a few months prior when he made his 2018 World Championships debut. When James makes his first Olympic appearance in air pistol this summer, he will be the first person from Jacksonville State University to represent the United States in the Olympics.
James enjoys riding motorcycles and has ridden his bike all the way from Alabama to the Sturgis rally in South Dakota. He also enjoys traveling, numerous shooting sports (3-gun, USPSA, Steel Challenge, Bullseye, CMP National Matches, high power rifle, and more), and spending time at home with this daughter Rylee, and newborn son.
- 2022 Winter Air Gun Championships, Gold, Men's 10m Air Pistol-(Camp Perry location)
- 2022 Championships of the Americas, Silver, 10m Air Pistol Men’s Team
- 2022 Rifle National Championships, Men's 10M Air Pistol Champion
- 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, 10th, 10m Air Pistol; 10th, 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team
- 2019 World Cups attended: Munich, China, India
- 2018 Championship of the Americas, Guadalajara Mexico Gold, Men’s 10m Air Pistol, secured Olympic quota
- 2018 World Cups attended: Changwon, Guadalajara, Ft. Benning
- 2018 National Championships, bronze medal, Standard Pistol; bronze medal, Air Pistol; silver medal, Free Pistol
- 2017 National Championships, gold medal, Air Pistol
- 2016 National Championships, bronze medal, Air Pistol and Free Pistol
- 2018 World Championships, silver medal, Air Pistol
- 2017 Meyton Cup, silver medal, Air Pistol